Sunday, October 08, 2006

Oh Well, We Had a Good Year...

But most good things must come to an end. The Yankees lost their third straight playoff game to the Tigers of D-Town yesterday, and in so doing ended their season. It's kind of odd to me how we overcame to much as a team over the course of the year and it all means nothing so quickly. Next year doesn't look to be any more hopeful, as Mike Mussina, Gary Sheffield, and Bernie Williams (a true-and-blue Yankee his entire career) are all free agents and likely won't be picked up. Randy Johnson and Jared Wright have both proven to be busts in Yankee uniforms in my eyes, and I can see one, if not both of them being let go next year, even though both have another year on their contract. A-Rod could also be on the chopping block, and as much as I like him, I wouldn't mind seeing us get a couple very good pitchers as well as a young third baseman for him. The thing that saddens me the most, though, is that Joe Torre could be packing his bags. He has lead his teams to nine straight division titles but hasn't gotten the real job done since 2000. If this is the end of Joe's rope, I just want to tip my hat. Mr. Torre is a great manager and an even greater man.

Until Spring Training '07.

No comments: